Thursday, June 17, 2010

FC&A Medical Publishing: Medical advice

Today's offering is for a book entitled Your Body Can Heal Itself: Over 87 Foods Everyone Should Eat. This came from FC&A Medical Publishing, 103 Clover Green, Peactree City, GA 30269.  When you open the envelope, there is a "From the desk of Charlotte Garner" note (with a "note" indicating "Please read if you love good food - CG" and another envelope.

Inside the inner envelope is a certificate for "Free No-Risk Preview Certificate" for the trial book, plus another book that I will receive for three payments of $9.99 each. The offer expires July 15, 2010, so I have to act fast.   If I want the "free" book, I have to take on the other book -- there is no other option provided.

So, who is FC&A Medical Publishing?
  • According to Publishers Global Inc., it is a publisher of self-help health books.
  • It publishes advice in the form of a secret cure each week.
  • It purports that "skeptics of natural healing proven wrong".
  • It has a large number of self-promotional web postings.
  • It is also a publisher of books on fixing things around the house, among other things.
  • The formerly listed editor, Frank W. Cawood (now Gayle K. Wood) used to sell transfer patterns for t-shirts (back in 1991). My, how his expertise changed.
  • The company appears to have begun as Frank Cawood and Associates (hence the FC&A).
  • There is no scientific proof offered for any of the purported cures, and there does not appear to be anyone with medical credentials associated with FC&A Medical Publishing.

Harmless? I am not so sure. The problem that I have with companies like this is that they may deter folks from taking the medicines they should be taking. I don't have anything against some natural or simple remedies (e.g., I like to get calcium buildup off of sinks and showers using vinegar instead of harsh chemicals), but giving someone expectations that there are miracle cures may encourage them to forgo their prescription drugs.  Giving up cholesterol drugs, blood thinners, and cancer treatments for the hope of a "natural" cure is dangerous.

17 comments:

  1. My only comment is that THIS letter came inside of another envelope that stated on the outside of it GUIDEPOSTS For Guidposts Readers From one friend to another...
    I contacted Guideposts and they said they had nothing to do with this.
    Soooooo, I think this person stole addresses from Guidepost...but, of course, I can't prove it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it's been almost two years since this comment was written, I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts. I ,too, was skeptical as this person had absolutely no credentials to his name. I always look at medical claims with a critical eye and check who is the author/speaker. Some are genuine, MOST are NOT. This guy is a "jack of all trades and master of none." That is an old saying of my grandma and mom. Glad I questioned it before actually putting it in the mail. THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!

      Delete
    2. I got the letter also its just a scam I am going to write them back a letter and tell what I think of FC$A Medical Pyblishings.

      Delete
  2. They prey on the elderly promising massive discounts. This is a disgrace, I'm outraged at how they take advantage of our mother, fathers, gradparents and fellow elders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received the book in the mail, but ordered nothing from this company. It's another scam. I DO NOT intend to send them a cent!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sick of these self invited and no scinece based health gimmicks. I Treat these just like garbage and throw it to the trash. Please stop doing these and get more innocent and elader people cheated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father passed away 7 years ago and these idiots at FC&A are saying he has ordered a book from them. I wrote them 1 letter so far with no results. I am making a complaint to the BBB when I finish this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they also got a mailing list from prevention magazine or Rodale publishing as I did order a book from them. When this other book came, I thought it was the one I ordered until I got an invoice for $41.00. The book I got from Rodale was free for getting a subscription to their mag which I did get. So the invoice gave me the "red flag". so many scams nowdays. you have to check out everything, then recheck it. Terrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently ran afoul of this company. After sending in $19.98 for 2 books on health A Seniors |Guide to Metabolism and 1001 Health Secret for Sentios. When they didn't arrive in 3 weeks I emailed them and asked if they were a "Scam" (!) and was told they have been in bs. for 30 years. I was told to wait until 9/28/12 and to call them if not received. They were not received. On the 26th I did receive a garrish envelope from them which had "I love you ____" and God Bless America and offering me some more books .I'm seriously considering contacting one of our local tv stations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This publisher is trying to bill my elderly mother-in-law for a book she never ordered or received. This is a scam. She called them to tell them she didn't order the book and that they should send her proof that she did, and they couldn't....but she is still receiving bills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gayle K. Wood is still sending free trial book offers of the same ilk. I just received one on 6/2/2013.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I received this book from them that I did not order and can not tell how they got my name. With a bill for 39.99. Sending it back

    ReplyDelete
  11. what happens if you keep the book and forget to make payments? that's my biggest concern. they send the book and then it is the elderly person's responsibility to get it to the post office to return, or remember to make payments. Then what follows? more of the same, i imagine, snowballing to a part time job, not to mention the small print that says they make your name/address available to other companies, so you can make more decisions about what to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too get the Guideposts material.
    Everything they have contacted me with has been extremely suspect---and they keep insisting I need to send payment---but I have received only offers, and never accepted any----or sent payment!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've gotten no materials from them, except offers to buy things---which I have no interest in!! I want them to take me off their lists completely!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This company has to be buying info from an employee at a federal agency or a senior organization. Within a couple of weeks of filing for SS, I received a mailing from them about a book with -- yes -- "secrets" for seniors living on a fixed income. Never heard from them before now.

    ReplyDelete