Apparently, this organization is promoting getting the COLA adjustment for Social Security, even though the automatic COLA does not apply because there has not been inflation. You don't get a COLA adjustment in any year where it is not necessary because here was not inflation. This is a formula that has been in effect since 1975. [ The good news is that when we had deflation, social security payments were not lowered.]
And what do they really want? $10 mailed to:
TSCL Local Area Coordinator
P.O. Box 97173
Washington, DC 20090-7173
The plea for money is customized for our local community, which is pretty slick. But there is no "local" chapter here, so it is just a ploy to make it seem more legitimate.
A few warning signs:
- They state that the "donation" is not tax deductible. This should raise a caution flag.
- They use "scare mailing" to solicit funds. See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/21/senior-citizens-group-ple_n_328344.html
- This is the same group that sends out solicitations for "donations" for the "Notch" issue. See: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Notch+octogenarians+should+beware+of+Social+Security+scam.-a0181614553 and http://waysandmeans.house.gov/legacy/socsec/107cong/7-26-01/7-26klec.htm
- This organization has been associated with previous scams. See http://www.madison.mt.gov/departments/sheriffs_office/SO_Msg/SeniorCitzScams.pdf
- The original corporation, The Retired Enlisted Association (TREA), Inc., was incorporated in Colorado as a nonprofit organization.
- For the BBB report: http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/elderly/trea-senior-citizens-league-in-alexandria-va-1628 You will see that they raised $9 million through these mailings.